Masters Degree in Accounting
The master’s degree in accounting includes a post baccalaureate degree which immerses individuals within breadth and depth of accounting theory. Many universities and colleges provide the program as many state accountancy boards require the master’s degree in accounting to earn a state license.
The master’s degree in accounting programs usually need individuals to possess an undergraduate degree within accounting. The undergraduate accounting degree needs to involve the core courses like cost accounting, taxation and intermediate accounting.
The accounting master’s degree programs typically possess at least thirty credits for a degree that is general. The specialized programs might possess as many as sixty credits, which depends upon the depth of a program.
Most universities and colleges provide accounting master’s degree programs on accelerated one-year plans. The programs will usually be full-time; many programs online of sixteen to eighteen months are provided for individuals who work.
The CPA License
At least forty states within the United States require CPA (Certified Professional Accountant) license applicants to possess one-hundred and fifty credits. Many applicants will fulfill this requirement by obtaining a bachelor’s degree, then obtaining an accounting master’s degree.
Process of Obtaining an Accounting Master’s Degree
As the tax deadlines loom, everyone wishes to locate a good accountant. In addition to the income taxes, accountants who have graduate degrees will work throughout government and industry.
1) Locate accounting career data as well as student links on the AAA (American Accounting Association) Web site. Read articles and journals that are related to the accounting profession to aid you in refining your specialty within the field.
2) Review admissions criteria and rankings for United States and international business schools which provide the Master’s in Business Administration in accounting upon the World Report and US News Web site.
3) Pick 3 to 5 schools which will fit your career plans. You should request their scholarship information and application materials.
4) You should register to take the GMAT examination and have the scores sent to the schools which you chose. Obtain examination preparation materials at your local library or major bookstores. Download free examination practice software on the Master’s in Business Administration Web site.
5) Submit the applications in a timely manner. Pay for and request the undergraduate transcripts just as soon as you’ve chosen your schools.
6) Research websites in order to obtain data on assistance, fellowships and scholarships which will aid you with the prices of fees, books and tuition.
7) Finish the required internships and courses. Finish the final project or thesis. It will take, on average, 2 to 3 years, without any interruption, to complete your accounting degree. Get prepared to take the CPA (Certified Public Accountant) examination by the time the coursework is finished.
Benefits of a Master’s Degree in Accounting
As a bachelor’s degree within accounting will permit you access to a few jobs that are entry-level, several more choices are out there for the ones pursuing levels of higher education. There includes benefits to earning an accounting master’s degree.
Pay is Better
Those that had a master’s degree were offered a beginning salary of around $3,000 more than the ones who had just a bachelor’s degree, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2009.
The accounting master’s degree is typically a prerequisite for jobs of a higher level, particularly the jobs in management.