Social Science Degree
If you are fascinated by human behavior and interactions between different classes of people, you might want to consider a social science degree. An education in social science can teach you many things about human behavior. You will learn about past events in history, how various societies interact, the reasoning behind people acting the way they do, how power is put to use, and how change can affect different individuals in various ways.
A social science degree may include studies in the following:
- Public Administration.
- Criminal Justice.
- Public Safety.
- Paralegal Studies.
- Political Science.
- Homeland Security.
- Library Science.
- Urban Planning.
- Market Research.
- Behavioral Science.
You might wonder what types of employment are available for those with a social science degree. There are many areas that can be covered with the knowledge that this type of degree will provide. Listed below is just a small sampling of positions that you might be interested in should you have the appropriate education based on social science.
- Social Scientist.
- Human Resources Specialist.
- Community Service Professional.
- Business Manager.
- Health Services Administrator.
- Legal Professional.
- Law Enforcement Officer or Supervisor.
- Professional in an area of the Government.
- Social Worker.
- Political Science Instructor.
If you would like to obtain a good position in the field of social science, a higher education will be of great benefit to you. Many positions in this field require you to have at least a Bachelor Degree, though a Master's Degree or even a PhD may sometimes be required.
- Bachelor Degree in Social Science. If you would like to obtain a Bachelor Degree, your course of study will include a number of different topics. You may learn about American History, Western Civilization, Social Psychology, Group Dynamics, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics, Sociology, Anthropology, the Government and the Justice System. Depending on the college you are attending, you may also be required to take certain other courses, such as mathematics and statistics. Your skills will help you in matters of research, interpretation and observation. You will be instructed on conducting various experiments and gathering research data. With a Bachelor Degree, you will have many job opportunities from which to choose upon graduation. Or you may decide to go on to a Master’s Degree.
- Master’s Degree in Social Science. This degree is the way to go if you would like to become a teacher and instruct students pertaining to social science. Certain colleges will require you to already have extensive training in social science through your previous studies. You will learn about methods of teaching along with the fundamentals of research. You may want to acquire a Master’s Degree in Social Science itself or in Humanities or Sociology. Your choice of degree will depend on the type of career you are interested in and the area of social science that appeals to you the most.
- PhD in Social Science. With a PhD, you will have the ultimate in an education in this field. You can teach in a professorial role, do research as a social scientist, or go into a counseling position as a clinical psychologist. There will be many opportunities for the individual who has attained a PhD in Social Science.
You need to chart your career path and ascertain the type of employment you would like to obtain. In this way, you will also have a better idea of the social science degree you will need and the proper courses that should be your main focus. Your education will depend on whether you want to teach, counsel, perform research or deal with social science in some other capacity. There are many different areas of social science, and the area that interests you most would provide you with the greatest incentive for obtaining a degree. There are a number of colleges offering a variety of programs in the social science field, including online classes for those individuals with a hectic schedule. The appropriate social science degree will get you a rewarding position.