Internet Marketing Degree
The expansive growth of the Internet has changed many aspects of modern life. One of the many career fields the Internet has changed is marketing. With more and more people spending increasing hours on the Internet, a whole new area of marketing has opened up and steadily gained speed as people become increasingly more dependent on the Internet in their daily lives. With so many people accessing the Web throughout the day, it follows that there are many opportunities to advertise products, businesses and programs to those Web surfers.
As the Internet gained steam, traditional marketing professionals had to quickly develop an almost entirely new skill set in order to tap into the many marketing opportunities suddenly available. Now those skills have been molded into programs offered through several reputable colleges so that students can achieve an Internet marketing degree.
Marketing degree programs teach students strategies, techniques and theories, such as:
- Identifying what makes a successful campaign and using that knowledge
- Outlining, organizing and managing a project from beginning to end
- Identifying an organization’s strengths and weakness and how to work with them
- Negotiating effectively and developing strong interpersonal skills
- Understanding the needs of target demographics and how to meet those needs
An Internet marketing degree builds on that basic knowledge to tailor students’ learning towards becoming effective marketers in the Web’s unique marketplace. In addition to the skills listed above, you will learn:
- Search engine marketing
- Search engine optimization
- PPC and other advertising campaign types and strategies
- How to connect with a demographic through websites and Internet advertising
Students who should seriously consider enrolling in this type of degree program are those who:
- Want to work for an Internet-based company or for a company with a strong Internet presence
- Have a marketing degree, but would like to specialize or change careers
- Are interested in how marketers can reach potential customers through computer-based information systems
- Are business entrepreneurs with their business heavily involved or entirely based on the Internet and who want to learn how to effectively market their business to potential clients or customers
Students can achieve an Internet marketing degree in a variety of ways, such as certificates, associates degrees, bachelor’s degrees, and graduate programs. Each student must determine which program best meets his or her educational needs and goals through concentrated research.
Things to consider when researching potential programs are:
- How much time and money are available to put towards completing this program?
- What is the likelihood of success with how the program is structured (for example, online or on-campus)?
- Which level of degree will get you the best job in a suitable time frame? For example, an associate’s degree or certificate program does not take long to complete, but they often do not prepare graduates to enter into a company’s higher levels right away. A higher degree such as bachelors or masters degree takes longer to complete, but will provide more job opportunities and an increased likelihood that a graduate could start at a relatively high position in a company.